Friday, March 25, 2005

Draining



Well, it's been a very busy and emotionally draining week at work for me. Last Thursday I was informed that the person who has been my manager for YEARS was no longer going to be my manager and that I was now going to be reporting to the manager of our frontline application support area. This in and of itself isn't horrible news and has the potential to actually be a good change, but there are some roiling politics at hand here too that has me very nervous and somewhat upset. Additionally, and probably somewhat as a result of this change, my workload has increased to a point where I'm pretty swamped. Today I was informed by my former manager that the suite of web reports that were recently just thrown at me to do are a "hot" issue and to "be careful". WTF is that supposed to mean??? He went on to say that everything I've done so far is "perfect", blah, blah, blah. Well, how am I supposed to come away from a meeting like that? Is someone out to get me? I frankly like having a lot of work to do. I like sitting down at my desk in the morning and looking at my watch in shock to see that it's 3 PM and I haven't even thought about lunch yet. I like going home in the evening satisfied that I put in a really good days work. I just hate, hate, HATE office politics. I can't stand the feeling that I am being undermined in some way. I've been on the verge of hyper-ventilation all week long and it hasn't had a thing to do with my workload.

I'm pretty happy that I have another long weekend, that's for damn sure.

No comments: