Monday, June 29, 2009

Things I’ll Never Understand




Why, when I use my debit card at the card reader machine at the grocery store (or the gas pump, or wherever), it asks me first what the card type is to be, such as credit or debit. Yet, I am still prompted later in the session for my PIN, regardless of the fact that I selected “credit” for card type. I then must go through the added step of canceling or continuing from the PIN prompt screen. Why even ask the user to select card-type anyway? The machine can tell what kind of card it is, I would think the only purpose would be to bypass the PIN prompting if you want to use your debit card as a credit card. But I have yet to find a machine anywhere that doesn’t ask for PIN, regardless of the card-type selection chosen at the start of the transaction. This is just one of those stupid little daily things that make absolutely no sense to me. Why, why, why?

No comments: