Tuesday, August 17, 2004

People Are Stupid, Part 22



One of the reponsibilities of my job here is to support and maintain the company Sales, Ordering and Commission databases. This involves debugging problems, programming enhancements and "fixing" data, among other things such as reporting, etc. Anyway, very often I'm dealing with administrators and clerks, number-crunchers and so on who are entering the data. Anyway, I received a call from one of the commissions clerks about a bunch of data that ended up in our commissions database in error. Basically, this stuff gets loaded manually by the clerks, they create a file, they use an application to check the file to make sure everything is correct, to change anything that needs to be changed, delete anything they don't want to send over and then they finally move the file over to the database. So how did all of this "bad" data end up in there? I asked her if she checked the file, was all this stuff in her file before load? Well, yes it was, she saw it there. But she chose to move it over anyway, knowing that 90% of it was wrong. So, not only do I not have the scenario captured to try and debug the problem and figure out what went wrong, but I had to spend the better part of my morning picking through the database cleaning up this mess. Grrrrrrrr! Stupid, stupid, stupid.

No comments: