Sunday, January 20, 2008



I suspect that my GPS thinks that I’m stupid.



So I bought myself a GPS about a month or so ago as a sort of combination birthday / Christmas gift to myself. I wasn’t sure how much use I would get out of it because I don’t tend to go anywhere, but on the occasions that I do, it sure is a pain in the butt to drive and try to read a map and directions, since I’m usually driving alone and the dogs aren’t much help in that regard. So I bought it and in a way, it’s kind of opened up a new world to me. I’ve had to make a couple of trips into Boston for work over the past couple of weeks and it’s been very relaxing to be able to just plug in the address and go. I’ve had a couple of appointments here and there too where it has been helpful to be able to just drive and not think about it. I finally found this riding stable out on the twisty roads a few miles from my house that I had been looking for (got lost a couple of times previously looking for it). It’s really a great gadget and one of those things that once you have one, you wonder how you ever functioned without it.

I like to try and confuse it though. Sometimes I will ask it to take me home and then I’ll choose another route. I swear the machine sounds exasperated by the second time it states, “re-calculating”. I imagine an intelligence behind the voice shaking head, rolling eyes and muttering, “what an idiot, what part of ‘turn now’ did you not understand”. It’s fun to drive down some country roads here and make an unexpected turn and wait for the GPS to direct me to an alternative route and see how confused and snarled it can get. So far it has always managed to direct me home though. Heh. It doesn’t take much to amuse me after all.

No comments: