Tuesday, June 24, 2003

So I took a Spinning class tonight. Oh, sorry, New York Sports Club calls them "Cycling Classes". Same thing. Anyway, way back when, when I used to be in some amount of reasonable shape and in the midst of marathon training, I was a Spin-aholic. Truly. Started with one class a week, tacked on another, soon I was taking four classes a week. And this was in addition to getting up and running 5 to 8 miles at 5 AM (15 to 20 miles on a Saturday or Sunday). There should be a 12-Step program for Spin-aholics. Anyway, I'm not going to go into details now (maybe another day) but I've been in horrible shape for a good while now. About three or four years. So I'm trying to get it back. Here's the thing: I'm older! It's surprising how much harder this is now a few years later. Or maybe working out is like childbirth, you just forget how impossibly hard it was.

So I took my first Spinning class in my "new" life. Talked my friend E into coming with me, which showed a lot of guts on her part since the last time I talked her into coming to the gym (Saturday) we drank maragaritas afterwards and lost an entire afternoon. Don't ask. Anyway, Spinning was great! I had my doubts before class about whether I'd be able to make it through the class in it's entirety and I did. Woo Hoo! It was hard, but such a good workout. I'm going to see how my butt feels tomorrow before planning when my next class will be (I'm tempted to shoot for Thursday -- see? This is how it all starts).

No comments: