Monday, June 30, 2003

So I am sitting here at work on this swampy Monday, after a pretty good weekend. I had put in for a personal day last Friday because I had a doctor's appointment that historically takes much longer than the typical lunch hour. It was great to have the extra day to get things done. And I would have too, if not for the soul-sucking heat & humidity that swept the NYC area last week. Trudged through the 100* heat to my appointment and then entertained the idea of going to NikeTown and Crate & Barrel and any number of other East Side places I normally don't have a chance to frequent. But the heat sucked my will to live and it was back on the train and home to my air-conditioner and Lola the Pug. Still, it really was nice to have the extra day off. Saturday (a surprisingly brilliant day -- poof! the humidity was gone) was for running in Central Park and meeting with friends and outdoor brunch and beer and street fairs and walking around. Sunday was for unashamed loafing, pure and simple. This approaches the perfect weekend for me. To accomplish it, you need three days. One day for errands, laundry, getting crap done around the apartment. One day for socializing, going out to brunch, dinner, cocktails, whatever. And one day for complete loafage. Of course, being the active person that I hope to be someday, some time has to be set aside for running, working-out, etc. This "perfect" weekend is not to be confused with "Weekend O' Fitness" which can be accomplished in two days and ideally takes place once a month. This is a weekend that is devoted to fitness pursuits, other healthy-for-you activities can also be added (giving yourself a facial, exfoliating, etc.). W-o-F has to start on a Friday night with some fitness activity, in order to qualify. Hmmm, haven't had one of those in a while (like years). I should do one someday.

Rant of the Day: People who wear tons of perfume/cologne (especially the cheap stuff). I was on an elevator with a woman this morning who was wearing so much, I swear my eyes were watering. I literally held my breath for 27 floors.

Today is a running day, so despite the swampiness, I decided that I had to get my butt outside and to the park. It's nice to have the treadmill as an alternative, but running outside on the roads (and the hills) is really the best. In case you haven't noticed, I hate the heat. Well, maybe not the heat so much, but the combination of the heat and humidity, which is a really unfortunate disposition to have when you live in the North East. I suppose it could be worse, I could live in D.C. or something. Anyway, I would have loved to bag the run tonight, but I am never going to have a true running program if I keep doing that. So I just sucked it up and ran. I'd like to say I had a fabulous run, but it was just HARD. Kept plugging away though, up and down the hills, first on the park drives, then on the bridle path, and once again on the park drives of Forest Park. The running mileage was about three miles (plus an additional mile or so of walking getting to and from the park).

After the run, I came home and exploded an Amy's Burrito in the microwave. I'm not much of a cook.



No comments: