Monday, July 19, 2004

PIA


 

Okay, so I went to the dermatologist last week to finally get my skin (around my eyes) checked out to try and determine what is causing the FUEs. I had never been to these particular doctors or office before, what an operation it ended up being. First of all, my appointment was for 9 AM. I was there about 15 minutes early and, in the course of waiting for my turn, no fewer than six people came in with the exact same appointment time, for the exact same doctor. Right away you've got to think, 'over-booked???' Luckily, since I had been there early, I didn't have to wait too long. But, geez, once I was brought in, I felt like I was on an assembly line. First brought into one room where I was interviewed by a nurse who asked me the same questions I had answered on my questionnaire upon arriving for my appointment. The form I had filed out was even there, right in front of her. Then I was hustled into another room where there were three people, the doctor, a nurse and a physician's assistant or similar. I'm introduced, everyone is talking at once, my butt barely hits the chair when the doctor "diagnoses" my eyes as having dermatitis/allergic reaction to something. This diagnosis is made by him from across the room (no need for all the fancy equipment scattered around). I am then hoisted back up out of the chair, some samples of some cream and a prescription shoved into my hand, a request that I come back this week for allergy testing, and I am sent on my way with a, "nice meeting you, miss" from the doctor. I came spiralling out of the room practically dizzy. So, using the cream he gave me actually made my eyes worse, so I'm glad that I never got the stupid prescription filled (also, especially since the damn thing was supposed to run me around $100, on top of the $20 co-pay). So, this morning I came back for the allergy testing. After waiting 40 minutes or so for my turn to see the doctor, I am informed that they are going to put this test strip thingie on my back and that I will not be allowed to shower for three days. 3. days. Er, in case anyone hasn't checked recently, it's the middle of July.  Today the humidity level is ninety eight percent. That's 98. Hello???? Standing at the top of the subway stairs, I could feel waves of hot, swampy, humidity wafting up from the station. I was so hot while I was down there that I was almost ready to cry when I couldn't immediately find the stairs to get me out. When I freaked out to the doctor about the showering thing, she made some lame and vague comment about how I would still be allowed to use a wash cloth. Uh, yeah, that's a realistic option. I basically walked out of there (after another $20 co-pay). Even if I wasn't planning to run/spin/whatever everyday for three days, there is still no-freaking-way I could go for three days without showering. I mean, are they insane? I hate doctors.



No comments: