Tuesday, October 26, 2004

Post to My Email Running List



Last night I had a lovely run in Central Park. I had a taken a little time off from running because of the leg pain I had posted about here a few weeks ago. In the meantime I have been spinning - but it kills me to be missing running in my favorite season, there is just something about Fall in NYC. Since I moved to Queens, Central Park is no longer my usual running route, but oh, how I miss it. This used to be my backyard. Now that the days have gotten shorter, it is no longer safe for me to run in my local Queens Park (Forest Park), so I have to be a little more creative if I want to continue to run. I can handle a treadmill run maybe once or twice a week, but I have to also be doing some running outside to keep my interest up. So last night after work I headed North to Central Park for a run. Luckily I have a New York Sports Club membership that allows me access to any of the gyms at any time, so I was able to change and lock up my stuff at a club on West 73rd next to the Park.



I entered by Strawberry Fields and was surprised to see so many people still lingering around and enjoying the peaceful area, even though the sun had set. I headed across the 72nd Street Transverse and then up Cat Hill. My conditioning (while not stellar to begin with) has faded enough that I knew pretty much immediately that it was going to be an ugly run. I didn't care though, I knew it wouldn't be ideal, I was just happy to be out and running again and enjoying Central Park and the crisp Fall weather. It was a struggle, but I needed the hills of CP and so I managed to run (and walk) the inner 4-mile loop. It was enjoyable seeing the myriad of people out there, many of whom I suspect are gearing up for the Marathon in another week and a half. Lots of thoughts went through my head while I struggled. I thought of many of the runs I've done in Central Park over the years, some in races, some for training some just for fun. All the varying degrees of condition I've been in over the years. I remembered how great I felt the first time I was able to run 3-miles without stopping. I remember one weeknight run I did in the rain where I felt so strong, like nothing could stop me, setting my sights on people running ahead and blowing past them on the hills. I remember struggling to run even a whole mile on other runs, just like I was struggling last night. I wondered if I would see Neil Cook biking alongside a coaching client. I wondered if he would remember or recognize me if I did. Mostly though, my thoughts were on the Marathon. My own NYC Marathon experience (run in 1999) and how great it was. How great I felt. All the wonderful (and not so wonderful) training runs I did in Central Park and that feeling of finally entering Central Park on Marathon Day and the relief that I was going to make it. Feeling like I could accomplish anything. Running last night up and down the West Side hills, I saw that the fencing is already up for Marathon Sunday. Soon they will be painting the Finish Line. It's an exciting time to be here and running in Central Park makes me almost feel a part of it. I finished my run feeling satisfied. Not in my performance, which was dismal, but in the knowledge that I continue to want running to be a part of my life, that I still feel a part of the running community. I was... happy.



Good luck to all who will be in NYC to run our marathon. I will be volunteering at Mile 18 at the PowerGel station, so wear your DRS gear so that I can cheer for you.

No comments: