Monday, July 11, 2005

It is SO hot Outside...



I don't know what possessed me to take a walk at lunchtime today. I pretty much never leave my desk at lunch, but today, when there is a heat advisory in effect for the entire afternoon, where the heat index is right up around 100, where I am admittedly one of the biggest hot-weather wimps going, I think to myself, 'Hey? Why don't I take a nice walk of (almost) a mile (and almost a mile back) to that paint store to grab some paint chips? It's only 12:30 in the afternoon, how bad could it be?' How bad? Bad. It is so unrelentingly hot on the asphalt of Manhattan today. I was torn between trying to walk as slowly as possible in an attempt to ward off overheating and hurrying and dodging all the slow pokes to try and get back into air-conditioning as quickly as possible. This is one of those ugly Summer days when I absolutely hate living and working in the City. This is also one of those days when the Weather Newsmen like to say, "the best place to be on a day like today is at the beach!" (complete with smarmy smile and fake cheer). Gee, thanks for the damn tip.

No comments: