Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Up Early and Panicking





The real panicking is starting. I slept pretty well for most of the night and then at about 4 AM my eyes just sprang open and I started thinking of all the things I still have to do. Stuff that needs to get packed, personal business that I need to sort out, bills that need to be addressed, stuff at work that I still need to do, papers and books and stuff I still need to drag home. And then I start thinking about the New Job and worrying about if I can do this, can I perform, will I be the Right Person, CAN I DO THIS???

Lola at least is pretty much squared away. I dragged her into Manhattan last night for an appointment with her old vet. We used to go to him when we lived on the Upper Westside, but we switched to a local Queens vet when we moved here. I always preferred him and his office however, so I brought her back to him for her last NYC vet visit. She had an update on all her shots and I have a health certificate for her. At least I won't have to worry about finding another vet right away.

I decided to take the offer on my apartment. It was pointed out to me by a couple of people that perhaps my apartment had been listed too low, or that it was so early in the game that it was possible that I could still generate some additional interest and thus perhaps generating some more bids. But, on the other hand, I'm not going to be here to monitor what's happening so there is a lot of comfort in knowing that that ball is already rolling (and even with the immediate offer, that ball will continue to roll for months since we're dealing with a co-op here and my co-op is even more ineffectual than most) and also I am more than doubling what I paid for the place a few years ago, so I don't think there is any need to be really greedy about it. Plus the broker pointed out that it's possible that trying to get that much more money might throw a bit of a wrench into things when a buyer deals with appraisals, etc. Just because it's possible that a buyer might come forward to pay more, doesn't mean the bank will back that, particularly when my current offer is already the highest paid for a studio in this building. Whatever. I decided to just take it and be done with it. Now I hope it all goes as smoothly and as quickly as possible. I'm sad though, I've come to like this quirky little apartment of mine. Particularly since the Neighbors from Hell moved out (along with their Hellspawn). It's actually been rather pleasant here lately (punk kids in the street outside my apartment yelling and screaming and setting off fireworks not withstanding).

Lastly, the Director of my department at my current job is taking my resignation personally and it's stressing me out. Apparently one of the first things she said when told that I had resigned was, "how can she do this to me???" She then became really pissed off that I was only giving two weeks notice. Since then she has not said one word to me, other than one cryptic little email response to my resignation letter (most of which was comprised of how stressed out she is). She got pissed at my friend Chrissy who is trying to plan a little goodbye party for me. Chrissy checked first with former-currently-temporary-maybe-permanent manager to make sure that they weren't also planning to do something and to make sure that she wasn't stepping on any toes and to find out who in the group he thought she should invite. Former-currently-temporary-maybe-permanent manager said just to send the note to the entire group (this was last Tuesday, I think). Well, Department Director went into a tail spin because she hadn't sent a note to the group yet telling them that I was leaving. She then scrambled to respond on top of Chrissy's note to the group to say she had asked someone in the group to write this note the day before and that it hadn't been done and then someone had said that they weren't sure if I even definitely had the job (I had just mentioned that New Company had to do background checks) and oh btw, Debbie is leaving so congratulations. Gee thanks (thanks also for airing my dirty laundry for the entire department to see). Since then there has been no communication from her. Lou forwared me a note yesterday that she had written to him that said something like, "make sure she shows you how to run this (refering to a quarterly report for Marketing) before she leaves." She doesn't even mention my name. It all makes me feel so... icky. I've worked for her for about ten years. I just feel so sad and hurt by this attitude. It really is making my tenure here end on a bit of a sour note.

No comments: