Monday, January 24, 2005

Always the Bad Guy



Yesterday, as I was coming through the vestibule of my apartment building, I noticed a woman standing there talking on her cell phone. When she saw me putting my key into the security door, she moved to piggy-back in behind me. I stopped and asked, "uh, do you live here?" she said, "yes. Do you?" and I answered, "yes. I have a key." She said, "well, I've lived here for 10 years". Gee. You'd think someone would have given her a key after 10 years.

This afternoon at work I got on an elevator to go downstairs. A woman from my floor came out into the elevator hall and jumped towards the elevator just as the doors were closing. I, being the closest one to the control console, in a panic flailed at the buttons that are marked by arrows either pointing in or out and in my flustered state hesitated too long before punching the correct button, thus allowing the doors to close pretty much in her face. So of course now it looks like I, A) allowed the doors to close on her without making any effort at all to hold them or, B) (worse) actually hit the "Close" button in an effort to make them close faster before she could get there.

Do you ever get the feeling that you're always being portrayed as the bad guy?

No comments: