Friday, June 13, 2014

Burpees Galore: CrossFit 06/13/2014

I came down with a miserable Summer cold on Sunday that really put me down for the count until about Thursday. I managed to ride on Wednesday, but through a stabbing sinus headache and a cough. Monday and Tuesday I was pretty much in a coma. So, I missed my Monday and Tuesday CrossFit sessions.

The cold is on its way out, but I'm not quite 100% yet. There was no way that I was going to miss a third CrossFit class though! This is all still so new to me that I don't feel quite established yet. I knew that if I missed a whole week of CF, that it would be that much easier to quit altogether. Certainly it would be that much harder to start again. So, I pushed myself out the door and to the 6:30 PM class.

It's still hard to walk in there. I still feel a little stupid and awkward, but each time it gets just a little bit easier. And I'm starting to know the people a little better, so that helps a lot. Most of the people there continue to be so friendly and genuine, you just can't help but like everyone, they are all always laughing and are just so laid back. Well, they're laid back and then they're not. If you are watching during the WOD, things can get pretty intense!

Anyway, here is the workout for Friday, June 13th:

Warm-Up:

4 minutes of Line Drills (run back & forth across the room repeating):
Butt Kicks
High Skips
Karaoke High-Step
Shuffle

What I did: Same, except the high skips aggravated a tweaky ankle, so I just did another line of Butt Kicks instead for that interval. 

Stretching:

Hip Mobility Complex
Figure 4
Dislocates
Mash your Bits (not sure what this is)

What I did: Same except for Mash your Bits. Not sure if anyone did that. 

Strength Warm-Up:

Snatch Warm-Up, led by coach:

3 Position Review, 2 rounds:
5 Power Snatch (dowel)
5 Overhead Squats (dowel)
5 Squat Snatches (dowel)

What I did: Same. 

Performance / WOD:

A. Snatch 4x2 @ 80% 1RM or Work Technique (Translation: 4 repeats of 2 reps at 80% of your 1 rep maximum or you can work on your Snatch technique).

What I did: Worked on my Snatch technique with Coach Jen, 15lb bar only. 

B. Teams of two, AMRAP 15:00 (as many reps as possible for 15 minutes, each team member alternates their round, partner 1 does their 5 Snatches and 10 Burpees, when done, partner 2 starts their round. Continue until the clock runs out):

Power Snatches (95lb men / 65lb women)
10 Lateral Burpees (Burpee, jump over your bar, Burpee, jump, Burpee, etc.)

What I did: 5 Power Snatches (15lb bar only) / 10 Lateral Burpees until I couldn't even stumble over my little bar anymore and then I switched to regular Burpees (well, the bad Burpees that I am currently doing). After my third round, Coach Jen told me to switch to 8 Burpees per round as I was losing it and probably holding up my team member too much. I got through 5 rounds though, so that's pretty good for me. 

I'll tell you though, 15 minutes never seemed so freaking long! I couldn't believe it when Coach Jen called out that we were halfway through -- WHAT?! 

C. (Cash Out Workout) 1000 meter Row for time.

What I did: Same. I forgot how long it took me though. I want to say 3:something, but I'm not sure now. 

I'm glad that I didn't let this week defeat me. I could easily have blown tonight off, but I knew that it would be that much harder to go back on Monday. Plus, watching the clock tick past 6:30 PM, I think I would have been really disappointed with myself. Fridays are harder for me because of the team/partner element, but I'm glad I sucked it up!

Another workout in the bank.

No comments: