Tuesday, June 03, 2014

Starting June Off Right: CrossFit 06/02/2014

I started out my work week on the right track by putting Ruby through a Dressage school yesterday at lunch time and then following up with a CrossFit session in the evening.

I am still feeling awkward and out of sorts walking into the gym (CrossFit calls them "boxes"). But each time the awkwardness is a little less, so that part, at least, is getting a bit easier. I am also starting to get to know people too, so that helps.

Monday's Session:

Warm-up:

Run or Row 400m
What I did: Row.
(One of these days I'll actually run. Maybe.)

3 Rounds of:

5 Pull-Ups
10 Push-Ups
15 Air Squats
What I did: 10 ring rows. 10 push-ups from the box. 15 air squats. x3.

Stretching:

Hip Complex
Lax Ball Upper Trap Smash
Kicks
Calf/Hamstring Smash
T-Spine Smash
What I did: Same, except, I don't think I bothered with the Lax ball thing.

Performance (WOD):

A. HBBS 3x9 @ 70% 1RM (HBBS = High Bar Back Squat. 3x9 means three sets of 9 at 70% of your max and then 1RM, is one at max weight ... I think!)
What I did: Practiced some high bar back squats with the coach with just the bar first. Then added 10 lbs and did one set of 10 with that. Took off the 10 and added 20 and did two sets of 10 at that weight. Weight with bar = 35lbs. It was enough weight where I had to concentrate on my form, but wasn't too difficult. I can probably add more weight for this exercise). 

B. AMRAP 12:00 (As Many Reps As Possible in 12 minutes)
Increasing intervals: 5 Wall Balls (20lb medicine ball men/14 lb medicine ball women) / 5 Pull Ups; 10 Wall Balls (20/14) / 10 Pull Ups; 15 Wall Balls (20/14) / 15 Pull Ups; 20 Wall Balls (20/14) / 20 Pull Ups
What I did: 5/5 10/10 15/15 20/20 5/5 10/10 Wall Balls (10lb medicine ball) / Ring Rows.
I took a big break after I had finished the 20, before starting back on round two at 5 again. I should have made the break shorter, probably could have gotten through more. Those wall balls get tough though!

I'm so happy that there was no jump rope last night! I have to get to the point where I can start to do some kind of assisted pull-up though. I'm embarrassed to be the only one doing ring rows.

A Note About Stretching: I haven't really said much about the stretching we do at CrossFit, but I did want to mention that they focus quite a bit on hip stretching. I think it has actually helped me a lot already as I am no longer feeling the chronic hip flexor ache that I've had in my right hip for the past few years. 

No comments: