Sunday, May 09, 2004

I don't think I like the new Blogger interface. Ick.

So, today was Mother's Day and having lost my own mother a couple of years ago, people might expect me to to be a bit weepy or sad, but I don't think I was, too much. Maybe a little sad, but nothing major. I celebrated by going out for a late run, something my mother would have been really, really thrilled to know that I'm doing again. She was very proud of my running you see, coming from a generation of women that did not value physical activity, who actually believed that women shouldn't be too muscular, or too athletic, etc. I've heard of some of my running peer's mothers actually frown on their daughters' running, actually thinking that they could damage themselves somehow, or that they are somehow less feminine for wanting to run. Not my mother. I think she was amazed that both my sister and I grew up to be as physically active as we are (my sister is more so than I am). Ironically, it's my brother who turned out to be the least physically active of the three of us. I think watching us be the athletic adults we became opened up a world to my mother that she never dreamed existed, or could exist, when she grew up (in the 30s & 40s -- she came into adulthood in the 50s), and I believe this inspired her and made her proud of us in a way that I can only try to imagine. I know some of her first questions to me whenever I called her was whether I had run that day, and if so, how far, and, if not, why not. So Mom, this run was for you, Happy Mother's Day, I love you -- wherever you are.

No comments: