Saturday, May 01, 2004

So, today I ran the Revlon Run/Walk for Women's Cancers and it was rather insane. Hordes of people. Literally 10s of thousands of them, most planning to walk the thing. I got there early because I didn't want to have to rush and I wanted to try and enjoy the event a bit, so I thought I would watch some of the pre-race entertainment. That turned out to be rather fun as well as inspiring, but at about 5 to 9 (race started at 9:15) I decided I had better start making my way towards the Start Line, as I was still about 6 or more blocks away and I knew that most of this pack would be walking (evidenced by the plethora of big backpacks, jeans, small children, etc.). As I wormed my way along, I was dismayed to see stroller after stroller packed into the crowd of race participants, many of them double and even triple strollers -- ACK! There were also a surprising number of dogs, which I think personally is a mistake in such a crowd. I know Lola (normally an incredibly social dog) would have been traumatized by 10s of thousands of people packed in together like sardines. Anyway, I managed to get to about maybe 2 or 3 blocks from the Start Line before I could really no longer move forward. Once the race finally started, it was the slowest shuffle imaginable to that start line, where I finally started to run, very slowly and dodging great clusters of walkers everywhere. It was very frustrating as the runners here were definitely in the minority. Dodging groups of walkers, innumerable strollers, people walking with small children, ARGH! It was truly an obstacle course. Surprisingly, I was really able to maintain a slow running pace, with lots of zig-zagging back and forth across 7th avenue, a few places where I had to come to a complete stop for a breath of a heartbeat and then a duck around whatever obstacle had stopped me, a few jumps up onto the sidewalk, a dodge along the curb to ditch yet another walking group and soon we were in the Park. On the bottom part of the Park I jumped off the Park Drive and onto a worn path through the grass next to the drive that the runners had adopted, it was here that a tree root grabbed my ankle and I tripped spectacularly, almost went down, but managed to recover and keep going. Wound around West and up the hill towards Tavern on the Green (across the NYCM finish line) and finally I allowed myself a walkbreak, about 12 minutes of running in and to the first mile. Yes, a 12/min mile, just shoot me now. After a minute of walking, it was off to run again and straight up hill along the West Drive. I was determined to run for a 10 minute interval because that is what we are now doing in class, yet it was up hill. Up, up, up, ARGH! Did I mention it was hot? It was so hot. And humid! Gah! Managed to make my 10 minute interval. Barely, but I did it. Of course, once I made it, I had reached a lovely down hill. Sucks ASS! After this effort, I just had to walk for a bit. Had a bad side stitch and was slightly content that I had at least done my running class homework, I figured that anything was gravy at this point. Unfortunately, the timing of my walk break put me near these two girls that were having the most inane conversation, I kept trying to walk faster to get away from them, but I just couldn't seem to walk fast enough, my side stitch was killing me and not allowing me to run again, so I had to endure it (I kept thinking, 'gah! I've got to get away from them, they're making me crazy' -- LOL). Anyway, eventually I was able to run again and managed decent intervals from here on in. The one walk break had lasted a long time, maybe 4 or 5 minutes, but subsequent walk breaks were relatively short and the running intervals were longer than I thought I would be able to do at this stage. Finally wound through the 102nd Street Traverse and out to the East Drive and finished very shortly after that turn. Was I ever glad to stop running.

After the race, the race officials had everyone walking along the East Drive for another 1/4 - 1/2 mile to the East Meadow where the everyone was directed to pick up their goody bags and t-shirts. After this I meandered West again, strolled along the footpaths past the tennis courts and way over West to where my friend Stephen was having a birthday party for his son (I had said I would stop by if I could). The hordes of walkers where still packed on the West Drive here and so it was a little complicated crossing over, but I managed and found the playground where the birthday party was happening. Stayed and chatted for a few minutes and had some coffee but then had to move on as I was scheduled to meet Ellen and Ken. Walked South on the footpaths alongside the Park Drive where the event participants were still moving forward. Passed the 2 mile mark (I was going in reverse) and the race clock here read 1:15. An hour and fifteen minutes and there were still thousands of people coming. I just wonder how long these people had to stand in Times Square before they were able to move forward at all. Nobody appeared to be moving very quickly, but an hour and fifteen minutes is a long time for anyone to cover 2 miles. Anyway, I finally, eventually, put the event behind me and made it down to the West 72nd Street entrance to Central Park where I met Ellen & Ken. We then moved on to the City Grill for a nice lunch and a couple of beers.

During the event I really cursed myself. I told myself I could have slept until a reasonable hour and still gotten out and gotten my requisite run in. But now, looking back, I remember feeling awake and alive waiting for the train so early, early this morning. I had forgotten how good it can feel to be up and out and on the way to a race on a Saturday. And that feeling of relief and pride once the race is done (no matter how poorly you've done) can't be beat either. Lastly, running in any event, whether it be a race or a charity event such as today, really pushes you past what you are ordinarily willing to put yourself through on a regular training run, so there is value to that. So, all in all, a positive experience. My slowness is just depressing beyond words. I think my slowness bothers me more at the moment than my inability to run much mileage. I just have to forget about speed for a little while. As I get back to running, some of my old pace (not that it was blazing, even way back when) will come back. Hopefully I will also lose some weight, which will also help. Once I can comfortably run a certain amount and can do so consistently, I can worry more about speed, now is not the time and I have to keep reminding myself that.

No comments: