Wednesday, May 26, 2004

Running



So, last night I returned to running after a brief hiatus to rest my sore shin and my knotted calves, and it was a relief to be back out there, let me tell you. Taking a few days off starts to worry me, like I'm never really going to run again. I start to doubt myself and think that a running future might not be in the cards for me. So it is a great feeling to be able to hit the roads again and run relatively pain-free (still have some soreness and some aches & pains, but nothing to really be concerned with at this point). The run itself went okay. Not great, not horrible. But that's fine, knowing that I'm still in the running is what matters at this point. I wish running was not such an injury-prone activity. I feel like I always ride the cusp between functional and injured. I wish I could just get out there and keep plugging away (the way you can, say, on a stairmaster or something) without the fear of injury. My fitness level is enough of a hindrance, the threat of injury just makes everything so much more dicey and frustrating. On the other hand, perhaps this is also what contributes to making running such a satisfying and thrilling sport and activity. To manage to overcome all your limitations and be able to competently string together a significant number of miles is the greatest feeling.

No comments: