Friday, July 25, 2014

Partner Up: CrossFit 07/25/2014


(This was taken during our dynamic stretching session in Tuesday's class)

My one goal for this week was to go to CrossFit three times. I am happy to say that I met that goal. Sounds simple, but I was really dragging by this afternoon. I had to tell myself, 'just one more thing to do this week and then I can relax', so that helped motivate me to get there tonight. I also rode on Wednesday and Thursday (both jumping lessons) and today at lunchtime (conditioning ride/gallop). So, with three CF sessions, three productive rides and a full work week under my belt, I'm pretty satisfied with my week overall.

I've spoken before about how I am not a big fan of "Team Night", I doubt that I ever really will be. But I have to say that it has gotten easier for me. I think it also helps that 6:30 PM on Friday tends to be a pretty small class, so it feels a little more relaxed and not so overwhelming.

Posted workout for Friday, July 25th:

Warm-Up:

Run 800 meters

What I did: Same. I got an early start, as I like to do when there is a running warm-up. I ran the 600 meters "around the block", but then ran past the entrance, around the side of the building and back again to make it 800 meters. I didn't walk, but it sure was hard to keep running past where the block usually ends. 

30-20-10 repeats of:

Lunge Steps
Sit-Ups

What I did: Same.

Performance / WOD:

"Shoot, Move, Communicate"

Partner Up, AMRAP 20:00 (as many reps as possible in 20 minutes):

400 meter Run (partners alternating intervals of 100 meters -- so each partner ends up doing this twice per round)
30 Front Rack Lunges (135lbs men/95lbs women)
20 HSPU (Hand Stand Push Ups)
(repeat the rounds until the clock runs out)

What I did: I partnered with Caroline tonight. Coach Jen had me scale the Front Rack Lunges to lunges with a 10lb Kettlebell in each hand because my right knee is a little unstable during lunges (it's sort of odd because I really don't have trouble with squats, but lunges seem to put too much stress on the one knee. It doesn't hurt, just doesn't feel stable). Instead of the HSPUs, Coach Jen had me do push-ups (from the knees), only I had to double them. I did the running as prescribed.

For the running we alternated 100m at a time as prescribed, then we broke up the lunges in groups of 5 (alternating until we reached a total of 30), and then for the HSPU/push-ups, Caroline did 5 HSPUs at a time, I did 10 push-ups at a time. We got through a total of 4 rounds, plus one 100 meter run (Caroline). 

Cash Out: 5 minutes in a weighted plank.

What I did: Well, I didn't do it weighted and I didn't do 5 minutes of it, but I did do a few planks. 

Some Notes:


  • I have actually improved my running quite a bit in the past month and a half. I did this workout on June 6th where we had to do partner alternates of 100 meter runs and I could hardly do it. I barely could keep running and felt like I was going to pass out! But tonight I really didn't have any problem. I was slower than everyone else, but I also did an actual "run" on my repeats and not a "jog." So it's getting there. 
  • My arms were really shaking on that last round of push-ups at the end. I'm not sure if I could have done another round, so I'm thinking it's good that the clock ran out when it did. 
  • I'm trying not to care that I can't do everything that everyone else can. Usually it doesn't bother me too much, but it's a little harder on Team Night. As I said to Caroline tonight, "I just have to keep on showing up."
  • Planks are hard. 



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Dunno if you voted for the Don or your state is Republican or both or neither; nevertheless, you and I WILL perish, dear. Dats da fak, Jak. Nthn I can do bout that. So...

'The more you shall honor Me,
the more I shall bless you'
-the Infant Jesus of Prague
(<- Czech Republic, next to Russia)

trustNjesus, goirl,
and wiseabove to Seventh-Heaven.
God bless your indelible soul...
because the sininster, filthy world wont.

Cya soon...

Unknown said...

Dunno if you voted for the Don or your state is Republican or both or neither; nevertheless, you and I WILL perish, dear. Dats da fak, Jak. Nthn I can do bout that. So...

'The more you shall honor Me,
the more I shall bless you'
-the Infant Jesus of Prague
(<- Czech Republic, next to Russia)

trustNjesus, goirl,
and wiseabove to Seventh-Heaven.
God bless your indelible soul...
because the sininster, filthy world wont.

Cya soon...