Saturday, June 19, 2004

Nasty People



I am so sick of nasty people. In my apartment building, mostly the people are lovely, but there are a few that stand out for being unreasonably nasty. Like the guy who lives next door to me who is currently having a war with some other neighbors about a grill in the BBQ pit in the backyard. Or this man who lives on the 6th floor who has this little, white bichon. This man has been so unbelievably unfriendly to me since day one. It's so strange and I just can't figure out why. The only thing I can think is because I own a dog too. Like he should be the only one allowed to have a dog here or something. But I'll say hi to him, and he'll (at the most) grunt at me, and then look the other way. And his dog is not allowed anywhere near my dog. If he sees me, he will give this sigh like he can't believe I'm even allowed to exist. So weird, when you think that there are few dogs in this building, you would think that the few who of us who have them would naturally talk and gravitate towards each other (like I have with Lola's friend, Jake's owners, as well as other dog owners in the building). Anyway, I'm really sick of being uncomfortable around this man, so this morning I had taken Lola out and was waiting for the elevator in the basement. Elevator comes and he and his dog get out. He makes his little sigh and calls his dog to quickly come away and brushes past me. As he passes me, this is how the conversation goes:

me: "oh hi"
mean man: "... "
me (a little louder): "Good Morning"
mean man: "..."
mean man is past me now and almost around the corner
me (practically yelling): "GOOD MORNING!"

Mean man makes a kind of noise like, "oh" and sort of half turns back to me like he would say "hi" but it just can't really get it out (like he didn't hear me the first two times. ) I get on the elevator, door closes and I mutter, "asshole".

No comments: