Saturday, January 31, 2009

Holy Crap!



Facebook can sometimes be a very odd experience. Today one of the friends who I am linked to offered a friend suggestion. Way back when (many years ago) at my old company in NYC, "P" was the head of our customer technical support division. He had a reputation at the company for being eccentric and unpredictable and for driving the president (and primary owner) of the company completely, bat-shit crazy. He was one of those loose cannon types, I think. Not so much in a scary way, but more in the way of, well, you just didn't know what was going to come out of his mouth next. In the very first department that I worked at for the company, P liked to torment my boss and everyone who worked for him. I think P found it great sport. Years after he left the company, P and my facebook friend, Carolina (my good friend from Queens) and I went out for a very drunken lunch somewhere on Third Avenue in NYC and gossiped for hours. Anyway, I hadn't heard much more about him since then.

Until today. My facebook friend made the friend suggestion and then sent me a note and said, "turns out P lives in your town". What??? I live in this little town in New Hampshire, how could he possibly live here? Well, it turns out that she was right. He lives no farther than four miles from me. 4 miles!

So the next thing that I know, suddenly I'm getting messages on facebook from P about the two of us being neighbors. We exchange some particulars and gossip and now he wants me to meet him at a bar in town tomorrow. What?! This is sort of freaking me out, it is just too bizarre. One of the ironies is, he doesn't even really work up here. He has a company that he mostly runs out of his home and he travels down to NYC during the week from time-to-time. How he actually ended up in my town, of all towns, is a complete mystery, but he's here.

Holy-freaking-crap. I am so not good at this going-and-meeting-people-I-don't-know-very-well-at-bars thing. I just don't know what to do. Ack.

3 comments:

J said...

Just go and have a few laughs. Jeez. But don't drink any alcohol. Remember your Feb goal.

deborah said...

well technically, my no-alcohol policy really only pertains to non-social situations. this would fall under the social category so a cocktail would be allowed (and probably very much needed).

Anonymous said...

P has a girlfriend. If you look at his Facebook profile, you'll see her and a photo of the two of them together. Not sure this is comforting, though.