Tuesday, July 22, 2003

The LIRR strikes again. I arrived to the train station at my usual time this morning, only to wait and wait and finally (after about 20 minutes) realize that something was wrong. A number of trains blew through the station, dramatically blowing horns, but none came close to even slowing down. In the meantime, the platform became more crowded with restless commuters. I could feel my irritation and stress levels rising to a point where I couldn't just stand there anymore and so I went in search of my friend Paul, who was happily reading a book and seemingly not minding the delay. After I ranted to him about it for a few minutes, he just looked at me, shrugged and told me to get over it, there is nothing I can do about it anyway. Am I the only person who is driven insane by this lack of service? We finally got on the next scheduled train, half an hour after the one we were waiting for was supposed to arrive. No seats of course (but there WAS air-conditioning). No explanations or apologies about the train that didn't show. Bastards.

I think Paul was happy to be rid of me once we reached Penn Station.

No comments: