Wednesday, July 09, 2003

Sometime during the day, while I was slaving away in my little, putty-colored cubicle, a storm swept through, breaking the weather and cooling things down dramatically. This inspired me enough to run home after work and throw on my new running shoes for a jaunt in my local park. After a short debate with myself, I decided to bring Lola since the air had cooled so much and since she hasn't had much exercise lately. Well, the air was deceptively cool, but there was still enough humidity in the vicinity to contribute to an impressive sweat-fest. This was reason enough for me to take it easy (doesn't take much convincing with me). I ran about 2.5 to 3 miles. While running on the bridle paths, I came to resent the usual presence of a certain quality of (usually young) men, most idling around, or strolling slowly with seemingly no destination. Most possessing a certain blank or listless stare that tells you they are not interested in women, or anyone else who might be in the park for a traditional athletic pursuit. And while I don't feel particularly threatened by these men, I can't help but resent their creepy presence somewhat. Not so bad when they are walking on the foot paths, but somewhat annoying when they are sitting along the side of the path watching you go by. Regardless of this annoyance, I had a pleasant run, although, I found my new shoes a little disappointing. Seems the design of the shoe has changed a bit so that the fit is now a touch snug (my older shoes in this model, same size, actually fit somewhat big). I could have gone up a half-size. I think wearing thinner socks will do the trick, but still.

No comments: