Tuesday, July 15, 2003

So my father got married on Sunday. In theory I'm very happy for him. My mother was sick for a number of years and he basically lived to take care of her during that time. I'm happy that he found happiness and is leading a fulfilling life. But I would be lying if I didn't admit that I was feeling pretty freaked out by all of this.

My mother passed away in January, 2002 and by March he was very actively dating. Dating multiple women at once. At the time, this was a little amusing when considering the complications of dating one woman in his condo complex, yet bringing other women home at other times. Also, asking from time to time one woman to watch his dog while he went out with another. That all changed, however, by the end of September. He met this woman and quickly became very serious. By January (I'm sure, not so coincidentually around the anniversary of my mother's death) they announced their engagement. We did this big family thing in New Mexico in May so that many of the various family members could meet and get to know each other. I came to the unsettling conclusion at that time that I really don't like her very much. Worse than that, I don't like HIM when he's with her. He turns into a different person. Oh I guess she's nice enough, too nice actually. But this overly-emotional, gushing affect really makes me uncomfortable. Making a big show, like she hasn't seen you in 10 years, when you just saw her the night before. My father is "darling this", "darling that". Every restuarant is THE BEST restaurant, THE BEST food, THE BEST hotel. She couldn't even wait until the food was served, it was THE BEST menu! I suppose if I end up spending any amount of time with her from here on in, I'll warm up to her. I just don't respond very well when people are forced on me, especially women. Anyway, so they married on Martha's Vineyard on Sunday. The odd thing is that no family were invited. They had some friends in attendance and that's it. I can't help but feel slighted.

No comments: