Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Mad Men





I discovered a series last week that had previously somehow passed by my notice.
"Mad Men" is an original series on AMC (who even knew that AMC does original series? I know that I didn't). The series takes place in circa 1960 and is about a bunch of slick advertising execs on Madison Avenue. I know, I know, you're thinking, 'Eh', I thought the same thing. But I was intrigued because it's apparently been nominated for a shitload of Emmys, so I thought that it might be worth checking out. First I placed it in my Netflix queue (the first season is available on DVD and the second season starts this Sunday!) But then I did some searching around and found out that they were having a "Mad Men" marathon this past Sunday, every episode from the first season shown back-to-back. So I recorded them ALL on the DVR and have been working my way through them this week. I have to say that it's brilliant! It is SOOOOOOO sexist and I find that extremely disturbing, but it also adds such an element to the drama (and, yes, comedy) that I find myself completely riveted, sometimes just staring at the screen with my mouth gaping open. I don't doubt that the world was every bit as sexist in the bad old days as showcased in these episodes, so watching this is almost like being an archaeologist discovering a long, lost society or something. Like Atlantis. heh. Oh the other thing is, they all constantly drink & smoke throughout the show too, I find myself both completely horrified and engrossed at the same time. The story lines are all unique and so outside the usual standard boilerplate of TV content. It's completely refreshing and fun to watch, I have not seen even a mediocre episode yet. So great to discover something so delicious smack dab in the middle of a dull Summer filled with repeats and horrible contest/games shows and reality TV.

No comments: