Monday, August 18, 2008

A Nice Day



We had a gorgeous day today (that's two in a row!), but I knew that I had my trainer today, so I went down to the locker room early in order to squeak in a run before my session. It was pretty hot, bright & sunny, but the humidity really didn't seem too bad. Anyway, I didn't have a lot of time, so I ran up the fire road to my little "Beaver Path" trail. From there I wanted to find the short cut to the top of my hilly trail. This off-shoot is a long gradual hill, rather than the steep hills & short recoveries of the other leg of this trail. The only problem was, it had been so long since I had taken this branch that I couldn't find it! I wasted some time running up & down the asphalt access road trying to figure it out. Finally I remembered (it's kind of hidden, so you sort of have to know where it is) and I was on my way. I'm not sure why I don't do this one more often because I think I could get a lot out of doing it every week or whatever. Since the hill is long, gradual, but continuous, I think it's a good running exercise. If I trained on it more often, I probably could run up the whole thing one day. Anyway, I got to the top and then got to enjoy the fun part of my hilly trail, the back side that takes me down hill and across flats through the woods through to the end. After that, I took the access road back to the fire road and managed to do three sprints down the dirt road to the company road. All-in-all about 2.5 miles.

After my run my trainer took me through a routine for legs, biceps and abs. Oh, and he oh so casually mentioned during the course of our workout that he planned to switch up our exercises next week and that we were going to try some new stuff -- ACK! I think maybe I should be worried. Anyway, so a pretty good workout, I managed to get a lot of stuff in. My arms feel really sore right now though, but I guess that's probably a good thing.

Oh, I also made an appointment for another massage for next month. I think having a massage appointment scheduled will perhaps help keep me focused and on track in order to "earn" the appointment. I'll also want to have some well-used muscles to benefit the most from a good massage. Lastly, if I continue to run 4 or 5 times a week, I think massage is only going to help keep my muscles loose and with the blood flowing to all the right places and thus, keeping me injury-free.

No comments: