Saturday, January 24, 2004

Chrissy was back to work from maternity leave this week (as you can see from our IM conversation yesterday). So we went to lunch yesterday to catch up a bit and because it was Friday. During the course of the lunch I mentioned something about my desire to move out of the area, maybe to Albuquerque. And she said oh well, at least I would have my sister not too far away (2.5 hours) if I moved there. That it wouldn't make sense to move to, say, Seattle not knowing anyone in the area. And my response is, "why the HELL not?" I know plenty of people here in NYC, yet my social life at this stage consists of sitting with my dog on the couch and watching netflix movies or what I've recorded on the DVR. Or maybe taking a walk with said dog. Most of the people I used to have a social life with now have children and never go out, they're all wrapped up in their new families. Or if someone has a party, it's just to sit and watch a damn movie while the kid sleeps. I can do that at home, and at least at home I can have my dog with me. How would moving to Seattle or someplace else, put me in a position where my social life is any worse than it is right now? And my thinking is, at least I might live in an area where it is easier (not to mention, safer) to get out and do fun and outdoorsy things. Like ride a horse, or take a hike, or ski, or walk a nice trail, or swim or any number of things. And there is always the potential of maybe meeting like-minded individuals when you're doing something you enjoy. I think Chrissy was a little taken back. But really, she herself has two kids now. When was the last time we went out together? (other than a quick lunch during working hours). It's been years. Literally.

No comments: