Wednesday, January 28, 2004

I was really hoping for a snow day today, but it wasn't meant to be, I guess. LIRR was actually running on a reasonable schedule, maybe about 10 minutes behind. Can't complain too much about that when they consistently have worse delays on the best of days. By the time I was at the station this morning waiting for my train, the sun was actually out. Between the sun and the blinding white of fresh snow, sunglasses were in order (ah, to be on top of a ski mountain on a day like today). Spent the extra ten minutes griping about the LIRR to this British guy who has befriended me, joined together by our mutual hatred of all things LIRR. Before I left my apartment this morning, however, I was trying to find some information on what was happening with the train schedules. I assumed there were delays of some kind, but I wanted to know what to expect before running through the streets (cuz, let's face it, none of the sidewalks are shoveled yet) for the train. The MTA website is useless for this sort of thing. You would think they would post about delays, etc. here, but the trains could be completely shut down for whatever reason, and there is nothing on their website. Tried to find some information on the local news channels, but they were all too busy reporting about all the damn school closings (like I didn't know this since last evening), not one word about trains. Even if they were all on schedule, a quick blurb about that would have been nice. At the very least in the streaming text at the bottom of the screen. I mean, how many people commute by train into Manhattan each day? Hundreds of thousands? Millions? Everyone I mention this issue to just gives me a blank look. Sometimes I feel so alone.

No comments: