Friday, January 23, 2004

In reviewing the list below, I did a lot of exclaiming (yes, out loud, if you have to know): "WOW, I can't believe I haven't read this book" and "WOW, I've always meant to read this book" and "WOW, I forgot about this book" or "wow. I can't believe this book is on the list." Of course I suspect that since this was a survey, this list comprises a combination of best books with most popular (the fact that Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire is number 5 on the list should be evidence enough of this). Of course, were this survey done in the USA, I have a sneaking suspicion that a few Danielle Steeles, Jacki Collins, not to mention the ever-popular tell-all expose and an occasional self-help manual would have made the hit parade. Some of the notable books that I see missing from the list are (in no particular order of rank):

- The Sun Also Rises, Ernest Hemingway
- A Farewell to Arms, Ernest Hemingway
- Light in August, William Falkner
- Howard's End, E.M. Forster
- Room with a View, E.M. Forster
- Out of Africa, Isak Dinesen
- The Outsiders, S.E. Hinton
- Marjorie Morningstar, Herman Wouk
- The Last Convertible, Anton Myrer
- Goodbye Columbus, Philip Roth
- National Velvet, Enid Bagnold
- Breakfast at Tiffany's, Truman Capote
- The Winds of War, Herman Wouk
- War and Remembrance, Herman Wouk
- The Good Earth, Pearl S. Buck (how can The Good Earth not be on this list???)
- The Red Pony, John Steinbeck
- Sophie's Choice, William Styron

All of the above are just a short list of some my favorites. Of course many represent highlights in American literature, which may be part of the reason why they are missing from the British list.

No comments: