Tuesday, February 10, 2004

Okay, so I'll admit it. As much as I spout about Reality TV being a modern plague upon our society, I find I've been watching more and more of it. So shoot me. It's kind of like rubber-necking at a car crash. You don't want to look, but somehow you can't help yourself.

Anyway, one of the latest reality shows I've been tuning into is My Big, Fat, Obnoxious Fiance scheduled on FOX on Monday nights. The premise is that this attractive girl has to convince her family that she's met this oaf of a guy on a reality show and that she now wants to marry him. Her goal is to plan the wedding and her entire family has to show up in support. If she accomplishes this, she gets a whole bunch of cash. What she doesn't know is that the guy they've paired her up with is actually an actor playing a part designed to drive her crazy and make the task of convincing her family that this is a good match practically impossible.

So, this guy has spent the past few weeks embarrassing the "bride" with a lot of frat-boy type behavior. Bodily noises, drunkenness, breaking things, inappropriate comments, or (my personal favorite) dropping a stink bomb and pretending to drop a load in his pants while attempting to do yoga. So this week the guy was introduced to her parents. And so this week it really went from being a little bit funny, to quite a bit mean. Her parents are genuinely upset. The bride-to-be keeps talking about what all this money will mean to her family and how she's doing all of this for them. But I don't buy it. They showed a scene of the family in their home in Colorado. They live well, don't appear to be suffering. They're not exactly living in a rusted-out trailer. Just exactly who are you doing this for again?

And another thing. From the beginning this chick was freaking out about how this guy was acting. Protesting that she would never date a guy like this and how nobody will buy it. Completely stressed out everytime the guy screws up (which, in reality, was just another stunt he was pulling). I don't know about anyone else, but if it were me, I would roll with it. Play along, laugh out loud at his antics and tell all your friends and family, "isn't he hilarious?! I've never met anyone like him before -- I think that's why I fell in love" blah, blah, blah. Especially once you saw that the guy wasn't going to fit your mold. Relax and just go with it. But that's just me. Also, in my world, my brother or sister would not be mad or upset (to the point of tears) over anyone I wanted to marry (like this chick's siblings were). In fact they would probably applaud any guy at all who would be up for taking me on. Me and all my caustic ways. But again, that's just me.

No comments: