Friday, February 06, 2004

Train Drama:

I was surprisingly a little early for my train this morning, so I stopped in at the coffee place by the station to buy a bagel (after all, I was out drinking last night until midnight, a bagel was in order). All of a sudden a double-decker train pulls up. It was too early for my train (even if my train was on time) and the only double-decker that stops at Kew Gardens is scheduled over half an hour before. Anyway. every one goes running for the train, but I tell the girl that is helping me not to bother rushing, I figure there is no way I'm going to make it. Well, as I shove the bagel in my bag and grab my coffee, I see that the train is still there, so I decide to run for it. I run slipping and sliding through the ice and slush (yes, another Winter storm this morning) to the one open door that a woman has forced to remain open (all other doors are closed) for her husband who is running behind me and breathing down my neck. I leap onto the train with an exhale of relief and notice that there is this guy in one of the first seats on the upper deck yelling, I mean really yelling "comeon, comeon, COMEON!!!" or some such. The woman who had been holding the door, her husband and I all ignore this guy and slink quickly down to the lower level (nobody was going near this guy) and settle in. Turns out, by forcing the door to remain open like that, she had somehow jammed it. So the conductors all come down to deal with it, open the panel and do what they have to do, etc. And I notice there is some intense discussion going on up there. Well, all of a sudden Loud Guy comes running down from the upper deck, says something to the conductors in the vestible and runs down to the lower deck (still yelling), "There she is! She's the one!" (at this point, I slink down in my seat and try to act casual), "the one in the fur hat". Animatedly pointing his finger and yelling. So, he finally goes back to his seat and one of the conductors stalks down and gives the woman an angry ass-chewing, during which (among the rest of his ranting) he supplies the information that the train was already 35 mins late and that she's screwed up the entire schedule. I may be wrong, but if the train was already 35 mins late, the schedule was pretty screwed up already. He finally has it all out of his system and walks away. I hear the woman breathe, "whatever." Anyway, it all worked out to my advantage. Managed to get my bagel AND make the train. Who knows when the next one would have come? Such drama.

No comments: