Monday, February 23, 2004

Since it was such a mild and delightful day, I came home from work, changed into running clothes and took Lola to the little park (not big, dark, scary Forest Park) for a quick jaunt. I basically wanted to do a brisk walk with the option of throwing in a little light jogging. Dicey call on clothes for such an activity during a Winter month such as this, as clothing for walking is going to be way too warm for running and running appropriate clothing is bound to have you too cool. I ended up wearing a long-sleeve coolmax running shirt, long running pants and running "shell" (windbreaker-type jacket) and that worked out pretty well, although I was a little cold for the first five to ten minutes of the walk. Not too bad. Anyway, we did a nice, brisk walk up to the park and then four slow jogging loops around the footpath loop within the park and a brisk walk home -- with a run up one steep hill in our path. It felt pretty good (except for my chronically tight right hip), so I should try to do this a few times a week. It was very surprising not to encounter any other runners or dog walkers around however, for such a nice night -- Queens, weird place. It was so quiet that I was able to have Lola off the leash the entire time we were in the park (she was very good about staying right with me, I might add). Anyway, today turned out to be a relatively active day for me, given my recent history.

No comments: