Tuesday, March 02, 2004

Victoria's Secret

Why is a foray into Victoria's Secret always such an ordeal? I had some time to kill at lunch today so I decided to stop in at VS because I really do need some new bras. First of all, they really don't make it too easy to find the correct size. Sizing is all on a tiny tag on each bra that you really have to search for, unlike most stores that have size-specific hangers so you can find the size at a glance. So here I am struggling through a rack of bras that are too tightly packed together, trying to find a size other than 32B when a voice asks, "can I help you find a size?" I look up with, "yes... " dying on my lips to see this guy peering at me intently. "uh, no, thanks, it's okay." He goes on to point out a display of bras that are supposedly the latest and greatest thing and I say, "well, I don't like the padded kind", he replies, "oh, you mean the molded cups?" "er, yeah. Look, I have to go." Beat a hasty retreat to another rack where I grab a couple of bras and duck into the dressing room. In the dressing room I am shown to a stall by some chipper chick who exclaims, "so you're trying on some of our new bras???" 'I have no fucking idea if they're new.' "have you been measured yet???" I reply, "Look. I don't like this hands-on business. Just let me try on these bras and leave me alone." She looks at me like I'm insane, but lets me into the changing room and beats a hasty retreat. I didn't end up buying anything afterall. I tried on the bras and liked them, but by then I wanted to get the hell out of there. On my way out, I noticed the guy who had talked to me, "helping" another customer. She was watching him out of the corner of her eyes, while trying to edge away from him. What a crazy, freaking place. This is why I like to shop online.

No comments: